Monday, October 24, 2011

My Potted Herbs

Do you have a green thumb? Yeah, I do! And it took me at least 30 years before discovering it. It all began when we visited Cristina, a childhood friend at their posh condo unit in Singapore last year. I sat beside a plant inside their house.

Okay, uhmmmm, so I don't know really about plants.

Before, I'd see a plant as a plant. I'd call an orchid as a plant (instead of saying "orchid"), a rose as a plant (instead of a "rose"). I'd simply use the general term "plant" and when asked, I'd continue to describe the plant :) .

I don't dig enough details what a plant is called, blah blah. For example, I could be saying , "Wow, the plant is really healthy." And I could be referring to a bougainvillea. Or I even asked my mom one time to buy me a plant that looks like a Christmas tree. Which until now, I couldn't get the name. But nevermind, as long as I can distinguish it when I see it.

Am I wrong to say that???? I've heard about herbs, yeah I did, but I usually see them inside a bottle. I see you rolling your eyes, but seriously this is how stupid I am about this green stuff. I wasn't so interested knowing about the types of plants that grow in our neighbor's garden (because their house is fenced, that's all ) :)

So what happened during that visit? As I was busy rummaging my purse for something, there is this scent I couldn't figure out what it was until I leaned over the pot and confirmed the scent came from the plant. Cristina told us it's a Sweet Basil. Oh geez, I was so amazed to see a Sweet Basil plant in a pot , ALIVE and growing. Not dried , inside a bottle!!! Hahaha.

Guys, I didn't even come from the city and it's very embarrassing to say that I only know the other types of vegetables we used to grow in the school garden and find in the lyrics of "Bahay Kubo". I blame my ignorance about herbs to our local dishes. Anyone coming from my hometown would agree what I am trying to say.

At that moment , I was inspired to know that you can certainly grow herbs, and so I tried it.

Sweet Basil: our 3rd pot and more to come....



Chives: We've trimmed them before for our creamy soup


Rosemary: Very good smelling herb ..hmmm.. I can imagine it from my desk


Dill: our 2nd pot , the first pot has bloomed its flower , I can't wait until I can grow the third


Apple Mint: Thank you to my German colleague for sending me some seeds :) Give me another 3 months that I can start to pick some of its leaves and I will make you a "mojito" when you come over


And of course, an addition to the family are the common veggies you could find in the wet market or even your at neighbor's backyard.



Vine Spinach: In my dialect we call it "Alugbati" . They are not fully grown yet but look at those healthy leaves.



Moringa: Known as "Malunggay" in Tagalog. This plant is so rich in Vitamin C and can be used as a medicine especially for healing the wounds faster.

I snapped a photo when it was still small.


A year later..... , my Moringa!



I couldn't recall how many "Tinolang Manok" , Bisaya Style we've cooked it with. Anyone is welcome to ask from me if you want some :) I would be happy to share it to you.

Chilli: They call it in Malaysia "cili padi", or "Sili Labuyo" in Tagalog. The names could be different, but it's hotness is the same...really chilli :))

Do you see that tiny white flower it's bloomed?


And finally, the most consumed vegetable at home....

Tomato: It's still young and I need to transfer it to a bigger pot. I swear, when it grows its fruit with my sweet basil available, I'd make a good spaghetti from my own potted herb garden :)


Guys, this is my new-found hobby. I dream that one day, I would have a bigger garden, that these plants could be nicely rooted where the sun first shines in the morning and near to my kitchen.

How about you? Apart from gossiping and updating your Facebook profile, what keeps you busy on a Sunday afternoon?


No comments:

Post a Comment